Neve Campbell - Interview [1996]


This March 1996 she files to the silver screen as a teen witch in Columbia Pictures' The Craft. Helmed by openly gay director Any (Threesome) Fleming, it's a supernatural thriller that's as dark as Heathers and as wicked as The Witches of Eastwick. We chatted with this newlywed on revisiting high school, her favorite superheroes, and kissing other girls.

So how does it feel to be one of the six reasons to watch television according to Time magazine?
Neve Campbell: You know what? That was really sweet. I didn't know it happened and people started calling and congratulating me. And all I could think of was, My picture's next to Grandpa Simpson. I mean, Grandpa Simpson's awesome, but you can't take it too seriously.

Is it weird being back in high school?
Neve Campbell: No, it's kind of wonderful. For me, being able to play out Julia and have these love triangles--these are things I never had. So it's a way for me to live that out without having to go back.

On one of this year's shows your character is hit on by a lesbian. At first Julia freaks out, but then she turns out to be very accepting of this girl. Is that how you are?
Neve Campbell: That's absolutely how I am. Like race, black or white--I see absolutely no difference. Because for me it's just such a reality:You are human, I am human, let's try to accept one another for whatever we are. It was actually kind of weird for me to flip out about it. I felt like slapping Julia and saying "Relax!" Actually, one of my girlfriends came out after she and I had been friends for a couple of years. And it was really funny because she was so nervous about telling me. And when she told me I was like, "OK, you got a beer?" It doesn't change who you are and what you mean to me.

So have you ever kissed another girl?
Neve Campbell: Actually, watch The Craft. I just kiss a girl on the lips really quickly; it's not supposed to be sexual or anything.

No Tongue?
Neve Campbell: No. I've never had a kiss-kiss yet...

Yet?
Neve Campbell: That will come along at some point.

So is there a Showgirls in your future?
Neve Campbell: Ha ha! Oh, God...no. I don't think a Showgirls...

No sleeping your way to the top?
Neve Campbell: Oh, no!!

Tell us about The Craft
Neve Campbell: It was hard for me because I had just had my honeymoon [Campbell recently married her boyfriend of four years, Jeffrey Colt] and then flew back here and did The Craft. It was a good experience because it really is about four girls becoming empowered...although they abuse it and take it to another level.

What's directory Andy Fleming like?
Neve Campbell: He's great! He has a really funny, kind of dry sense of humor. We seemed to get along well.

Did he ever fag out on the set?
Neve Campbell: He sometimes had his little go-offs. He had his moments.

Your character in the film, Bonnie, goes from geek to goddess...
Neve Campbell: Well, more like freak to goddess...she's geeky, but it's more like freaky than geaky. You don't even want to be near her.

So if you could be any superhero, who would you like to be and why?
Neve Campbell: You know who I really used to like? The Wonder Twins! They were awesome! They were always together and their power's together. Superheroes are very powerful, but it could make for a lonely life. Just like this business. So, if you can have someone with you, doing it with you, that's perfect.

Hollywood seems to be going through a remake frenzy right now. If you could star in a remake today, what would it be?
Neve Campbell: An American in Paris with Gene Kelly. I dance, and there's great dancing in it...

When you're up for Best Actress for An American in Paris, what or who are you going to wear to the Oscars?
Neve Campbell: Well, I will wear my husband.

It's the new Calvin Klein ad campaign!
Neve Campbell: Exactly. I will wear Jeffrey. And that's all!